Friday, April 4, 2014

Memory

Garrett says he has about three memories from the time the he was born to the age of 5. Honestly, that is probably the way most of us are. It is difficult to remember a lot of our early childhood. He was saying Kale won't remember much of what we do with him, especially at his age. True, but it got me thinking.

One: Just because we don't remember the details of a particular experience doesn't mean it wasn't beneficial or shaping. For instance, I have no recollection of my mom teaching me the alphabet. I am sure we spent time going over, and over and over letters and sounds. Even though I don't remember the time, effort and creativity she put in, I am a better because for it. We don't remember each event, but all events shape and make us.

Two: I see it is as the circle of  life. Garrett might not remember all he did as a little boy, but he will have experiences with his little boy. Garrett doesn't remember snuggling, trips or shoulder rides; but as a father he will remember giving them to Kale. Just as we all had with our parents and our children will have with their children.


Dear Kale,
You don't remember, but you loved riding around in this little Amazon box dad's socks came in. Always enjoy the simple things.
Love, Mom

3 comments:

  1. Excellent points Casidy!
    Boxes are the best! I came home from the hospital in one. :)
    Josie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That is so funny about you coming home in a box.

      Delete
  2. We may not remember much from those first few years of our lives, but you are so right about them being years when we learn a lot of vital information - Parents, and teachers work hard at helping children learn simple yet complicated things, like a language, to speak, to write and to read, how to share, how to listen, how to tell stories, how to control emotions, and on and on.

    ReplyDelete