We had Easter ham dinner with our friends the Penningtons. As part of the dinner conversation Kayla asked what each of our favorite Easter memories were.
Easter morning I remember getting candy and some years healthier treats. We also sometimes got one gift like new church shoes or a tennis racket. I would have to consult with my siblings to remember exactly. I for sure remember my mom having the bag of extra candy in the cupboard. We asked her once why she had that or where she got it. Since it was identical to what we had just found in our Easter baskets. Without missing a beat she said the Easter bunny always left her the extra. I believed her. I mean, what other explanation could there be?
As far as the Easter bunny goes I never thought into it too much. It was magical to get things in the morning. My sister Julia on the other hand was terrified of a human sized rabbit coming into our house at night. At this point I was older and knew about the "Easter bunny". My mom talked to Julia. I think the Easter bunny stopped coming to our house. Again, I will have to check with my mom and Julia to see how my mom explained that one to her. (I can see why she was afraid).
The only gift I clearly remember getting for Easter was a set of purple hair bows on clips. I remember because they were from my dad. I was fairly young but I remember loving them because they were from him. I kept them forever, one is probably still floating around my parents house somewhere.
One of our great family traditions is the Easter egg hunt at my grandma and grandpa Smedley's house. The adults hide an enormous basket of eggs in the yard. Some in plain sight on the lawn for the little kids, others in tricky places for the older kids, and a few in places we don't find for months. Grandma keeps all the kids in an upstairs bed room and tells family stories and talks about the resurrection. I have always enjoyed that tradition.



Cute Family! Love your hair Cas. It's amazing, and I now have hair envy.
ReplyDelete