Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Baby Boy

For his one week birthday, we gave him a name:

Kale

Born: Saturday 3 August 
@11:51 pm
8lbs 15oz.
21 1/4 inches



Labor was long and dreadful. Afterwards I felt like I was hit by a truck. I was dependent and slow for a few days following. All you mothers know. It is like I have "joined the club", or made my way through a right of passage. Anyway, I felt like it would be forever before my body was functioning normally again. (You don't realize what you've got 'till its gone-things like bladder control.) But I marvel at how amazing our bodies are! Having a body is an experience. At church we talk about getting a physical body and because of that we experience life on earth. But having a body is an experience in and of itself. Having a baby grow inside and giving birth has taught me that. The way they change, adapt and heal, without any real conscience decision. I have been home for a week now and basically recovered. 

We tried this swaddler the second night home. Garrett calls it the straight jacket.
We only used it that one night. He was cute as a button in it.
We love our baby.
  • He is a great sleeper,
  • very content,
  • usually takes his time to eat,
  • He is growing a little duck tale of dark hair on the back of his head.
  • I stare at him all day. He looks like me and he looks like Garrett.
  • No photo captures how cute he really is (I end up taking too many photos trying to capture what he really looks like).
  • His eyes are a dark blue/grey right now.
  • When he does cry, it is little and raspy (I always want to give him a big drink of water).
  • He has a low hair line, but light hair and eye brows.
  • He has little blonde fuzz hair on his back and shoulders.
  • He has big hands and big feet.
  • At least once, but usually twice a day he gets the hick-ups.
  • Of course, he smells so good, like new borns always do.

I want him to stay tiny forever. Garrett said he wants to make a copy of him, and keep one as a new born and let the other copy grow up. Baby is so precious.


1 comment:

  1. Oh Kale! What a sweet boy you are, you have awesome parents too. For you Mama - recovery is like nothing you could have imagined, right? Yowsa. Glad to hear you're feeling better though, keep taking lots of photos because indeed, they grow way, way, WAY too fast.

    ReplyDelete