This is my handsome Grandpa, Jim Smedley and his contagious smile. Don't you just want to be his friend? I am the oldest grandchild in the Smedley family. As such I have the privilege of knowing my grandparents very well. I am grateful for the example and friendships I have with all four of my grandparents. It makes my heart happy that our little baby will know both sets of his grandparents. They are great parents and will be wonderful grandparents. (I am kind of getting teary just thinking about it).
One thing I have learned from my grandpa is generosity. He is one of the most generous people. I think this story illustrates his generous spirit well. (Forgive me for not telling it as well, or as accurately as Grandma Betty). For years they owned a green truck. It was old and heavy duty. One day a complete stranger came by the house. The old highway went right by my grandparents house in Heber. I don't remember if the man's car broke down or what his circumstances were exactly, but he needed help. More specifically, he needed a ride or a car. With kindness Grandpa gave him the keys to the green truck and said, "bring it back when you are done". That was it. He basically gave the man his truck! Grandma was sure they would never see it again. She was a little distressed at my grandpas trust and generosity. Grandpa never worried, even as the week or two went by. The man did indeed return the truck. It is a good story. Put yourself in that position, would you give a stranger your truck? Maybe grandpa didn't have time to give him a ride, yet his solution was still a giving one.
You know who else I have learned in quite generous? my own husband.
I should not be surprised, but sometimes I am. He wants to give things to people I wouldn't even think of. He is always encouraging us to pay a generous fast offering. One evening he came home from school in unusually good spirits. He told me that while riding home on the train he was sitting near a sleeping homeless man. Garrett left what cash he had in his wallet in the mans plastic bag. Garrett was excited at the thought of the man waking up to the happy surprise of the money.
Have I done any good in the world today?

Awesome. And I would be the wife freaking out about our truck being stolen if that happened in my life.
ReplyDelete