In elementary school I remember learning apostrophes and how to make things plural. I got the basics. When it came to the exceptions I clicked my brain off. My last name ended with an "n" so I figured I would never have to know when the proper use of -es, -'s, and -s'. Here I am 20 years later. A Sens. A last name ending in a sneaky "s". Even if you have a last name not ending in "s" you should know the rule. Don't make the ignorant mistake that I did.
I combed over quite a bit of material. I learned how to spell my name.
The Definitive Guide to Pluralizing Your Last Name
| Last letter(s) of last name | What should you add to make it plural? | Does it need an apostrophe? |
| a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h (see exceptions below), i, j, k, l, m, n, o, p, q, r, t, u, v, w, y | -s | NO |
| s, x, z, ch, sh | -es | NO |
It’s analogous to “lenses” and “buses.” Error in writing and especially error in pronunciation are common. It seems to me that the majority of Americans say “Jones” for the plural. Saying "Jonziz" is unnatural or uncomfortable. I say, "Sens". It is really "Senziz". (At least that is what English grammar tells me).
Pluralization FAQs
Q: What if my last name ends in a “y”?
A: Add an “s.” Do not add “ies” or an apostrophe.
Merry Christmas from the Murphys.
Q: What if my last name already ends in s?
A: Add “es.” Do not add an apostrophe.
Season’s greetings from the Simmonses.
Q: What if the end of my last name normally functions as an irregular noun?
A: It is not irregular when it is part of a last name.
Warm wishes from the Wolfs.
Q: Is there ever a reason to add an apostrophe?
A: Only if you want to make your last name possessive.
If your goal is to make your last name possessive, then, by all means, use an apostrophe. If your goal is simply pluralization, however, forgo the apostrophe. (Apostrophes is a lesson for another time.)
Poor you!! Especially with a teacher as a mother-in-law. I don't know if I've actually written "Senses" since it's not clear if you are talking about a group of Sens or sight, sound and touch. I think the confusion requires a new rule.
ReplyDeleteOn the other hand, I thought I was going to escape the exceptions when I got married, but instead just slid farther down the rabbit hole. why would you pluralize something that is already plural? Woodses? see what I mean?
Haha! This made me laugh! I will not get it wrong anymore. Thanks for the grammar lesson.
ReplyDelete